Friday, April 20, 2012

Beavis and Butt-head

First, I must apologize for taking so long to make a post, as I've been taking my time (admittedly too much time) in thinking up some darn good posts on the subject. It is only now that I am ready to present them, so get ready for a few posts from me.







While it is true that MTV is one of the most egregious cases of Network Decay in the history of television, I feel that it is necessary to bring up what may be considered the only good non-music show, and ironically (am I using that word correctly?) one of the first: Beavis and Butthead. Created by Mike Judge before he made King of the Hill, Beavis and Butt-head is one of MTV's older shows. This and The Real World began as filler content between music videos and gained so much popularity that MTV thought that it was a good idea to make more not-music shows. Big mistake, dummkopfs.

One of the things I remember the most about Beavis and Butt-head is the Great Cornholio, a sort of alter-ego that Beavis takes on by pulling his shirt over his head. Cornholio then runs around the city stating who he is and declaring that he needs "TP for [his] bunghole." I seem to recall that this may have even been one of the first clips I ever saw, but I can't say for certain. Hey, I was only three years old (yes, the show is that old) at the time when my sister showed me this show.

As such, since it's been so long, I admittedly don't remember much else about the show, other than whenever Butt-head would snarkily respond to things that were said recently. The best example I can think of at the moment is "Huh huh, you said 'come'". Basically, it was the "That's what she said" of the '90s.

The humor of this show is by no means suited for everyone. If you hate South Park for being inappropriate, you'll hate Beavis and Butt-head almost as much, with both shows proud of their TV-MA ratings. If you hate South Park because it just plain isn't funny, I can still recommend Beavis and Butt-head.

I think that Beavis and Butt-head has actually returned on MTV recently, so there is now a reason to watch that channel other than the you-have-a-better-chance-of-being-hit-with-a-meteor-than-seeing-one music video.

Beavis and Butthead, along with The Real World, may have started the shift away from Music Television, but it still stands that Beavis and Butthead is nevertheless one of MTV's best programs, if you're into that sort of humor. Can't say the same for The Real World, though...

And to be fair, they do wear Metallica and ACDC shirts.


-Erich

No comments:

Post a Comment